Do you love Egg Nog? If so, you’ll love this holiday recipe that features eggnog and cognac: it’s the perfect complement to a festive morning of opening Christmas gifts.
Baked Eggnog Cognac French Toast
1-2 loaves of Challah Bread or Brioche (sliced into 1-1 1⁄2 “ thick slices)
2 1⁄2 cups of Eggnog
2 tbsps sugar
2 tbsps. cognac or rum
1⁄2 tsp ground cinnamon
1⁄2 tsp ground nutmeg
1 tsp vanilla extract
1⁄4 tsp salt
1 c brown sugar
1⁄2 c butter
2 tbsps light corn syrup
1 c of mixed fresh berries for garnish
- Lightly butter or grease a 9×13-inch baking dish.
- Heat the brown sugar, butter, and corn syrup in a small saucepan over medium heat.
Cook and stir until the mixture begins to boil; remove the mixture from heat, and pour into the prepared baking dish.
- Place slices of Challah bread, layered, on top of the sugar mixture.
- Combine egg nog, eggs, sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt, rum (or cognac) and vanilla in a medium bowl. Whisk together until completely combined. Pour evenly over bread slices.
- Cover the baking dish with parchment and foil, and refrigerate for 8 hours to overnight.
- In the morning, bake covered at 350 degrees F for40-45 minutes. Then, remove foil and parchment and raise oven’s temperature to 375 and bake for another 5-7 minutes or until French toast has started to brown on top.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool slightly. Cut into desired pieces and serve.
Garnish with some fresh berries or dollops of whipped cream.