Football season is nigh upon us. What could be more yummy and healthful than a few handfuls of roasted garbanzo beans? All that protein and fiber plus some heart-healthy spices to boot. Make a bunch to keep on hand to munch.
SPICY ROASTED GARBANZOS
- (15 ounce) cans garbanzo beans (chick peas)
- cooking spray
- 1 tablespoon cajun seasoning, heaping
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder (optional)
- 1 teaspoon onion powder (optional)
- cayenne, to taste
- Drain garbanzo’s in a strainer and rinse well with cool water. Shake to help remove water. Let sit to drain while proceeding.
- Cover a rimmed cookie sheet or shallow casserole dish with cooking spray. Pour garbanzos on the foil and spread them into a single layer. Take a few sheets of paper towel and gently press over the top of the beans just to remove any extra liquid- speeds cooking time too.
- Spray top of beans with cooking spray and sprinkle seasonings over the beans. Shake pan to help distribute the seasoning and make sure the beans are all in a single layer.
- Place pan in an oven and set to 350 F- no need to preheat. Use lowest rack on oven and return every 15-20 minutes or so to shake the pan so nothing burns. Be gentle or they may spill over the sides. Cook until beans are browned and crispy. About 45 minutes.
- Remove from oven and pour into a plastic bowl with tight fitting lid to cool.
- Keep stored in the bowl for best freshness or in a ziploc bag.